The Rolling Stones have denied reports that they will retire next year with a special farewell show at Glastonbury Festival.
The Sunday Mirror reported that the legendary rockers, who will mark their 50th anniversary as a band next year, will bow out playing their first and only gig at the famous UK music festival in 2013.
But when contacted by the Guardian, the band’s representatives said the claims were untrue and that the Stones would not be playing the festival.
It was reported that Mick Jagger, 68, Keith Richards, 68, Ronnie Wood, 65 and Charlie Watts, 71, would play on the Pyramid stage in the prestigious Sunday night headline slot following talks with organiser Michael Eavis.
A source close to the band claimed the gig would be the final date in “a handful” of shows taking place in the UK and US in 2013.
The source told the Sunday Mirror: "All four members have agreed that next year is the right time to have one final hurrah and put on the gig of their lives.
“It's a case of now or never, and obviously Glastonbury is the most important festival on the circuit. Everybody's incredibly excited … it's a final bow."
Over the years, there has been much speculation about the Stones playing at the festival, and Mr Eavis has previously spoken of how the band is on his bookings wish-list.
However, Glastonbury's press office told the Guardian that there have been no conversations as yet about the Stones playing next year. This year's festival has been cancelled due to a shortage of portable toilets and police officers – both of which have been drafted in for use at the London Olympics.
A spokesman said, "Everybody in the year off thinks they've come up with the perfect Glastonbury lineup. But at the moment there isn't anything to confirm or deny."